M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!

Go down 
+5
Beowulf
Knightfall
Fenrir
EidonOfTheFist
Mai
9 posters

Metallica....
Legend
Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! I_vote_lcap67%Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! I_vote_rcap
 67% [ 4 ]
'Nobodys'
Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! I_vote_lcap0%Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Overrated
Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! I_vote_lcap33%Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Who?
Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! I_vote_lcap0%Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:29 am

Are Metallica a legendary band or "nobodys"?

My brother and I have been arguing this point for ages. I think they're legends, he thinks they're an overrated band.

You'd think it's because I like them and he hates them, but you'd be wrong, because I'm not that much of a fan; I only like Enter Sandman, Mitsu likes more of their songs than I do.
I actually think they deserve the title of Legendary Band because there aren't many bands who have been around as long as they have and only changed bandmembers a handful of times (you couldn't say that for Evanescence now, could you? Wink (Evanescence fans: please don't take offence, I'm just making a point)).

So, let's see if we can't clear up our little dilemma.

If you think Metallica are a Legendary band, tell us why you think that.
If you think they're overrated, also tell us why.
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:09 pm

I think they're legends. They were the inspiration for a lot of other new bands, and they made quite a few excellent songs. They're probably one of the most well known bands ever, and even people who don't know them are likely to have heard a few of their songs and not known it. Watch 'Heavy Metal In Baghdad'. When the band is playing at a bar, and they do some Metallica covers, people start to pay a lot more attention, and get into it quite a bit. Metallica is appealing to a lot of people, and has survived as a band for a long time, despite some lack luster efforts as of late.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Legion
Legion

Female
Number of posts : 34
Job/hobbies : customer service rep
Registration date : 2009-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 am

One of the most Overrated bands on the planet!
Back to top Go down
http://forum.hhlive.co.cc
Knightfall
Musician
Musician
Knightfall

Male
Number of posts : 101
Job/hobbies : Things I do
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Fenrir wrote:

Saw that comin Wink

I gotta say, they're a great band, and definitely hailed as legends, but I dunno, they seem a bit overrated to me, I'll withold my answer for now
Back to top Go down
http://metalmayhem.forumotion.com
Beowulf
Legion
Legion
Beowulf

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm

I enjoy some of their songs (a lot of their earlier stuff is brilliant), St. Anger was horrible, but Death Magnet was a really good album. I'd have to say they're a good band. Not the best, not the worst, but maybe a tad overrated.
Back to top Go down
http://firesofwar.proboards.com/index.cgi
Phil
Legion
Legion
Phil

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Fenrir wrote:
I have to disagree. They are CERTAINLY overrated, but with the number of astronomically overrated bands out there, they are far from the most overrated. Het is a decent frontman, their bassist is pretty good, Hammett is not as good as everyone would like to claim, but still, above average guitarist, pretty awesome at points. Lars....he had his points like on AJFA (the song) and some earlier stuff, but overall, is rather plain and enormously over-touted, listen to DM and his snare sounds like a toy, and is rather plain compared with the rest of the music. They are certainly not the greatest band due to the change/degradation of their sound, producing only 4 above average CDs and slipping into mediocrity after their self-titled.
Back to top Go down
http://thesickness.freeforums.org/
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:44 am

Phil wrote:

I have to disagree. They are CERTAINLY overrated, but with the number of astronomically overrated bands out there, they are far from the most overrated. Het is a decent frontman, their bassist is pretty good, Hammett is not as good as everyone would like to claim, but still, above average guitarist, pretty awesome at points. Lars....he had his points like on AJFA (the song) and some earlier stuff, but overall, is rather plain and enormously over-touted, listen to DM and his snare sounds like a toy, and is rather plain compared with the rest of the music. They are certainly not the greatest band due to the change/degradation of their sound, producing only 4 above average CDs and slipping into mediocrity after their self-titled.

Phil, my man, you summed it up impeccably... Very Happy

Incidentally, does anyone think their sound has suffered somewhat since the departure of Bassist Jason Newsted a while ago?
Back to top Go down
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female
Number of posts : 100
Location : Alaska, wandering the frozen wastes to seek the legendary Symphonic Power.
Job/hobbies : Full Time Geeky Student.
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 5:47 pm

As far as how long they've been around and name recognition goes, they're legendary. People who know nothing about any other metal band out there tend to have at least heard of Metallica, and I think the fact that it's status controversial is a testament to it's legendary-ness. As far as mucial quality, it's music from the days of lore (Black album) is good and the "legendary" reputation has unfortunately rubbed off on the newer, less-epic albums and caused them to be overrated. The band itself, though, I would say counts as legendary, even if that's due to mystical ages long past.
Back to top Go down
http://ryorins-ramblings.blogspot.com/
Skode
Legion
Legion

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 4:25 pm

Oh they are a legendary band all right with an awesome back catalogue few came close to matching im my opinion but they really fell by the way side after a couple of great early efforts...still i judge a band by its finest work and not its poorer showings - there are not many bands who can sustain there early greatness after so long on the road and after so many albums and this is what must be remembered. That and try and ignore the fact most of the band are ignorant egotitsical arrogant pricks Wink
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:43 am

To be honest, the more questionable efforts of this band simply show that they are willing to try something without caring if it's liked or not, simply to push the boundaries. I'm not a huge fan, and I sometimes find that their albums aren't as good as their singles suggest. But at the same time, you can hear they're experimenting, and for that, you have to give them credit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!   Controversial Question Alert!!!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Controversial Question Alert!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1