M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Viking Rock Discussion

Go down 
+4
Fenrir
Mai
EidonOfTheFist
Mitsunari
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Viking Rock Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:25 am

Are you a follower of Viking rock/metal?

You can discuss your favourite songs, bands, concerts, pictures, links, etc here.
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Well, while I don't listen to Viking metal frequently, Beowulf has recently introduced me to Turisas, a very very good Viking metal band. I quite like their Rasputin cover. Which isn't really a Viking metal song, but it's by a Viking metal band, so hey.
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:24 pm

EidonOfTheFist wrote:
Well, while I don't listen to Viking metal frequently, Beowulf has recently introduced me to Turisas, a very very good Viking metal band. I quite like their Rasputin cover. Which isn't really a Viking metal song, but it's by a Viking metal band, so hey.

Beowulf talked to me about Viking metal bands too and I really enjoyed our conversation. I'd really like him to join us so I can have a few more ideas about which bands to look out for.

I really liked Turisas. This song you linked to is really different but in a good way.

I think with Viking metal, there's something amazingly experimental that always makes you go 'wow!', even if you don't actually like the songs you're listening to all that much.
Back to top Go down
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Haha, Viking Metals' great - it always seems to have a grand, epic feel to it.

We really need the aficionado, Wulfy, to verse us in the virtues of this genre...he IS the master of Hairy Marauder's Metal! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 4:32 am

*Beckons Wulfy into the Viking Metal thread, luring him in with a shiny bag of plunderable goodies...* Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Legion
Legion

Female
Number of posts : 34
Job/hobbies : customer service rep
Registration date : 2009-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:46 am

Amon Amarth, Enslaved, Ensiferum, Bathory, Svartsot, TYR, Heidevolk, Einherjer, KromleK, Falkenbach, Nomans Land, Arkona, Moonsorrow, Helheim, Baranduin, Yggdrasil, Gjallerhorn, Norden etc
Back to top Go down
http://forum.hhlive.co.cc
Knightfall
Musician
Musician
Knightfall

Male
Number of posts : 101
Job/hobbies : Things I do
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 2:26 pm

I like Amon Amarth, haven't heard much else Viking Metal
Back to top Go down
http://metalmayhem.forumotion.com
Beowulf
Legion
Legion
Beowulf

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Fenrir wrote:
Amon Amarth, Enslaved, Ensiferum, Bathory, Svartsot, TYR, Heidevolk, Einherjer, KromleK, Falkenbach, Nomans Land, Arkona, Moonsorrow, Helheim, Baranduin, Yggdrasil, Gjallerhorn, Norden etc

Out of that list I only really like two, those being Amon Amarth and Ensiferum. Though the funny thing is Amon Amarth don't like being considered Viking metal. Like the others have mentioned, I enjoy listening to Turisas, Týr, Fintroll (even if they're not classified as Viking Metal, they have the sound of it.), Folkearth is pretty awesome as well, Wolfchant has some good instrumentals, but I don't like their lyrics. Also Vader's song Sword of The Witcher has a somewhat viking feel in their lyrics (but no accordions or violins in their instrumentals.)

Also, The Sword sings about some things prevalent in Viking culture (as well as Conan, and that's always good.)

So I classify Viking Metal, not in regards to the sound, but more in the elements used in the song.
Back to top Go down
http://firesofwar.proboards.com/index.cgi
Phil
Legion
Legion
Phil

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 7:12 pm

Well, while I know little of viking metal, Tyr is fucking awesome. I love how they at times sing in Faroese and at times in English. It's a great mix of norse folk and metal. Ragnarok is my favorite of their CDs and is one that's been in rotation in my CD player for the last several weeks. Check out Rage of the Skullgaffer into The Hunt. The dual guitar soli is an amazing intro into The Hunt. Pure awesomeness. The intro track on the CD is also brilliant.
Back to top Go down
http://thesickness.freeforums.org/
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female
Number of posts : 100
Location : Alaska, wandering the frozen wastes to seek the legendary Symphonic Power.
Job/hobbies : Full Time Geeky Student.
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 2:17 am

Knightfall wrote:
Same here.

Beowulf, they don't like being called Viking metal? Then why on earth would they use Viking runes on their albums? confused What do they think they are?
Back to top Go down
http://ryorins-ramblings.blogspot.com/
Beowulf
Legion
Legion
Beowulf

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 6:48 pm

Shu Ryorin wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
Same here.

Beowulf, they don't like being called Viking metal? Then why on earth would they use Viking runes on their albums? confused What do they think they are?

To quote Johan Hegg

"We play death metal. We write about vikings so, therefore, some refer us to viking metal, but I have no idea what that is. I can't imagine the viking’s [sic] veer into metal at all except on the swords and stuff. And musically, I guess they only played these strange lip instruments and some bongos or whatever."
Back to top Go down
http://firesofwar.proboards.com/index.cgi
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female
Number of posts : 100
Location : Alaska, wandering the frozen wastes to seek the legendary Symphonic Power.
Job/hobbies : Full Time Geeky Student.
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 11:37 am

Beowulf wrote:
To quote Johan Hegg

"We play death metal. We write about vikings so, therefore, some refer us to viking metal, but I have no idea what that is. I can't imagine the viking’s [sic] veer into metal at all except on the swords and stuff. And musically, I guess they only played these strange lip instruments and some bongos or whatever."
Laughing That makes sense, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
http://ryorins-ramblings.blogspot.com/
Phil
Legion
Legion
Phil

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 7:46 pm

My current favorite is Crom. Seriously, this dude is incredible. Check out his full-length CD, Vengeance.
Back to top Go down
http://thesickness.freeforums.org/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Viking Rock Discussion   Viking Rock Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Viking Rock Discussion
Page 1 of 1