M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

College or straight to work?

Go down 
+2
EidonOfTheFist
Mai
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

College or straight to work? Empty
PostSubject: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:05 am

When you leave/left school, what will/did you do?

When I was at school, I really wanted to go to college afterwards. It was a wish of mine to either go into engineering or business studies (I know, completely different careers, but I hadn't decided which I was going to do, so I thought I might do both).
However, my mum (who enjoys....urm....the finer things in life) wanted me to go straight into work so that I could pay more rent (yes I said more).
So, she made me sign up to a training program and basically, learn while I work.
I chose Retail and Customer Service as my preferred careers because I enjoy meeting new people and and helping. My first job was in a Chemist. It was great to begin with because not only was I learning the trades of Retail and Customer Service, I also got to try my skills as a Dispenser (making up the prescriptions for patients).

In short, I had my doubts at first about going straight into work, but I have to thank my mum for pushing me because within just a year, I was a qualified Customer Service Advisor and a Retail Manager. I was the quickest in my district to ever get my qualifications and the youngest to ever get a job as a manager after leaving school (I know I'm blowing my own trumpet, but who's going to do it for me? Laughing).

My suggestion to those who are struggling to decide what to do after school, is to seriously consider BOTH college and working. It is possible to do both without feeling that you are taking on too much and the support you can find from training programs is amazing, and the feeling that comes when you get your qualifications, is one of a kind.
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Just thought I'd say that studies have shown that, on average, people who spend a year working before going to college earn more per year, in the short term and long term, then people who go straight into college.
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male
Number of posts : 336
Location : Battling for Wu with Sun Ce...... In his imagination
Job/hobbies : Writing stories.... School unfortunely!
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Wanna do history at Uni, more specifacally (SOAS-School of Oriental and African Studies). Bet you can guess what prompted that!
Back to top Go down
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Nine_Dragons/index.php?act=idx
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Wanna do history at Uni, more specifacally (SOAS-School of Oriental and African Studies). Bet you can guess what prompted that!

Mate, that sounds like a brilliant course! Go for eeeeeet! Very Happy

Personally, I went into college first and, lo and behold, dropped out early. I've had a few jobs since, but NOTHING in the vicinity of what I truly want. And I think there's a lot of truth in what BirdMan said: work prior to college and work during college set you in a far better stead for life after education.
Back to top Go down
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female
Number of posts : 100
Location : Alaska, wandering the frozen wastes to seek the legendary Symphonic Power.
Job/hobbies : Full Time Geeky Student.
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 2:27 am

Whelp, I went straight to school and am happily still in the Asian Studies program, Japanese Language focus (yeah, I know... they're going to shorten the name starting next semester). I'm liking it so far, but not everyone's the same.
Back to top Go down
http://ryorins-ramblings.blogspot.com/
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male
Number of posts : 237
Job/hobbies : History buff, highschool student.

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:38 am

I guess I'll ship myself out to UNO for Political Science, becoming the best damn left-winger law student I can be.
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 10:46 am

wassupimviet wrote:
I guess I'll ship myself out to UNO for Political Science, becoming the best damn left-winger law student I can be.

Fun... Just don't come to the UK.
Back to top Go down
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 5:05 pm

*books a flight*
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 3:22 am

wassupimviet wrote:
*books a flight*

Once your a politician, until then I'd love to meet to you!
Back to top Go down
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 9:40 am

That leaves me a minimum of 16 years I can use to harass you...
Back to top Go down
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female
Number of posts : 100
Location : Alaska, wandering the frozen wastes to seek the legendary Symphonic Power.
Job/hobbies : Full Time Geeky Student.
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 3:23 pm

wassupimviet wrote:
That leaves me a minimum of 16 years I can use to harass you...
Unless you want to start small and work your way up. An eighteen-year-old ran for mayor here a few years ago. No need to wait sixteen years to be on the political scene! tongue
Back to top Go down
http://ryorins-ramblings.blogspot.com/
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 9:13 pm

...That's not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all.
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 4:44 am

wassupimviet wrote:
...That's not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all.

The deputy leader of the Green party here in England is 19...
Back to top Go down
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Fairly awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: College or straight to work?   College or straight to work? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

College or straight to work?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
M.E.T.A.L  :: L is for... :: Literal Faculty-
Jump to: