M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Can you teach an old dog new tricks? Empty
PostSubject: Can you teach an old dog new tricks?   Can you teach an old dog new tricks? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:27 am

I taught my dog Tazzy how to give fives and she's 10 doggy years old. But people are always saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Is this true? Have you ever taught your older dog a new trick?

This can also extend to adults. Is it possible to teach an older person who has been in the world for quite a few years new things, like playing the guitar or to not be so pessimistic, etc?
Back to top Go down
The Phoenix
Legion
Legion
The Phoenix

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Can you teach an old dog new tricks?   Can you teach an old dog new tricks? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:26 am

Absolutely yes. No questions here. It's all up to talent, desire and commitment. Don't know about dogs but I have no doubts regarding humans.
As for pessimism in particular...Emotions and feelings come from inside never from outside, meaning you're the only person in charge of how you feel and what you think. I know few people who went all the way down to the point of being nothing (or at least that was how they felt) and yet...where's a will there's way.
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Can you teach an old dog new tricks?   Can you teach an old dog new tricks? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 am

The Phoenix wrote:
Absolutely yes. No questions here. It's all up to talent, desire and commitment. Don't know about dogs but I have no doubts regarding humans.
As for pessimism in particular...Emotions and feelings come from inside never from outside, meaning you're the only person in charge of how you feel and what you think. I know few people who went all the way down to the point of being nothing (or at least that was how they felt) and yet...where's a will there's way.

That's a brilliant answer, Phoenix! If a person thinks that they won't succeed, chances are they won't.

It's a bit like me playing the guitar. I tried about two years ago, but the moment I held the guitar in my hands, I was saying: "hell no! This is way too complicated for me! I'll never be able to play!" I gave up soon after.
But I'm retrying with a more, "I can do it! If some of these talentless gits can play the bass I can play the guitar!" (Laughing) attitude. I've already got further than I did the first time and I've only been playing a week. Metal 3
Back to top Go down
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Can you teach an old dog new tricks?   Can you teach an old dog new tricks? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 1:54 pm

My view is somewhat contradictory to Xiahou's; I believe Dogs have the ability to learn and absorb any amount of skills within their grasp up until their old age, however people...people are proud, stubborn and defeatist! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you teach an old dog new tricks?   Can you teach an old dog new tricks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
M.E.T.A.L  :: M.E.T.A.L :: Recreation Room-
Jump to: