M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Recommend an Application/Program

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Recommend an Application/Program Empty
PostSubject: Recommend an Application/Program   Recommend an Application/Program Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:36 am

Post here with your own recommendations for computer-related software, applications and programs.

I'd heartily recommend the following, in no particular order:

RealPlayer - a far better alternative to Windows Media Player. And it's freeeee!

MalwareBytes - a comprehensive scanner that will usually detect adware and other malicious software that your ordinary anti-malware scanner won't.
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male
Number of posts : 336
Location : Battling for Wu with Sun Ce...... In his imagination
Job/hobbies : Writing stories.... School unfortunely!
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Recommend an Application/Program   Recommend an Application/Program Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:21 pm

iTunes, can't live without it!
Back to top Go down
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Nine_Dragons/index.php?act=idx
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male
Number of posts : 237
Job/hobbies : History buff, highschool student.
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Recommend an Application/Program   Recommend an Application/Program Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 6:36 pm

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html - avast! Antivirus. Uses a good interface, and can get rid of the trickier viruses. During scanning, if it ever prompts for you to restart so it can scan on boot-up, do so. Like most antivirus scanners, it can take a while to scan, though avast! is among the fastest. Like AVG Free, it offers updates almost daily, constantly updating it's virus definitions.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search and Destroy. A freeware program that offers resident protection through allowing to whitelist or blacklist programs as they try to change registries or whatnot, allowing you to keep spywares in check before they start. It also offers browser immunization, a plus for any web-surfer, and file shredding, to get rid of spyware manually or to do away with those stupid files that just won't go away. It offers updates on a constant basis, and does utilize a downloader right in the program. However, it can take a chunk out of the CPU while running.

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_instal...tml?hl=en&gl=us - Spyware Doctor, included with the Google Updater service. You probably don't need anything other than Spyware Doctor, however, so uncheck everything other than that and download. This offers good real time protection, scheduled scans that are customizable. It offers three scan settings: Intelli-scan, Full scan, and Custom Scan. Intelli-scan covers folders that are likely to be infected, while Full scan scans everything, and Custom scans allows the user to scan only specific folders. However, it can take a chunk out of the CPU while running.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download - CCleaner. Yes, it's not an anti-spyware or anything like that, but it does clear old and outdated registry files alongside cookies and the like. A PC can accumulate a lot of junk over the years, which can be deleted with one or two quick scans. Gets rid of stuff like broken shortcuts, files with nothing in them and no purpose, and the like. The only thing you may not like is that it gets rid of stored passwords that are saved in cookies. That's minor, however, and you can simply log in again and click the Remember Me prompt.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ - Firefox. Simple.
All you IE users should convert to Firefox. No explanation needed.
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Recommend an Application/Program   Recommend an Application/Program Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:17 am

wassupimviet wrote:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download - CCleaner. Yes, it's not an anti-spyware or anything like that, but it does clear old and outdated registry files alongside cookies and the like. A PC can accumulate a lot of junk over the years, which can be deleted with one or two quick scans. Gets rid of stuff like broken shortcuts, files with nothing in them and no purpose, and the like. The only thing you may not like is that it gets rid of stored passwords that are saved in cookies. That's minor, however, and you can simply log in again and click the Remember Me prompt.

Have you tried Regcure, babe? Would you say CCleaner is better? I'm trying to decide whether to get a new registry cleaner, so I'd love to know your opinion.

wassupimviet wrote:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ - Firefox. Simple.
All you IE users should convert to Firefox. No explanation needed.

And you're right about this. I can't use IE anymore since I got Firefox. For one it always allows you to clean your history and cookies right after closing the browser. You have to go through tools on IE but I forget all the time.
Back to top Go down
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male
Number of posts : 237
Job/hobbies : History buff, highschool student.
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Recommend an Application/Program   Recommend an Application/Program Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:48 am

Haven't tried anything else. CCleaner has always solved whatever problems I had.
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Recommend an Application/Program   Recommend an Application/Program Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 3:25 am

wassupimviet wrote:
Haven't tried anything else. CCleaner has always solved whatever problems I had.

I'll give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation. I need something good to clear all the crap off my computer. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Recommend an Application/Program   Recommend an Application/Program Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 10:13 am

I recommend DVD Decrypter for all of you budding games salesman out there...if you catch my drift...oh come on, you can't decry me a few classic games that my local games stockists don't have... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend an Application/Program   Recommend an Application/Program Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommend an Application/Program
Page 1 of 1