M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Text speak...

Go down 
+5
wassupimviet
Skode
Sun Fin
EidonOfTheFist
Mai
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm trying to learn all of the word variations people use when they text or post on sites like this, so can you all help me out with ones you know please?

I only know these so far:

Lol = Laugh out loud

WTF = What the f**k

Gr8 = Great

As I said, I'm still learning. Laughing
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:44 am

Rofl- Rolling on (the) floor laughing
Lmao- Laughing my ass off
Wth- What the hell
Ftw- For the win
Ftl- For the lose
QQ- 'Keep Crying', or something similar. No direct translation to English.... Very Happy
Omg- Oh my God

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male
Number of posts : 336
Location : Battling for Wu with Sun Ce...... In his imagination
Job/hobbies : Writing stories.... School unfortunely!
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 5:55 am

LMFAO-laughing my f***ing arse off
BRB-Be right back
G2G- Got to go
Wubu2-What you been up too?
Wuu2-What you up to?
CBA-Can't be asked/arsed
TBH-To be honest

I can't think of any other atm (at the moment)
Back to top Go down
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Nine_Dragons/index.php?act=idx
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:04 am

Thanks for your help, guys!

Keep them coming if there are more.

Also, I'd like to ask, what is the general opinion on this subject? Does it make things more confusing, or are you a fan of abbreviated words?
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:51 am

Those of you who have spoken to me over MSN know I'm a big user of leet languge and I'm no different when texting as I need to cram lots in to small number of letters to keep the old bill down. But I don't use it on forums or when writing personal notes or anything.
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 4:45 pm

I use brb on MSN, but nothing else really. Don't mind if other people do it though.
Back to top Go down
Skode
Legion
Legion

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:26 pm

I despise it myself - my better half uses it all the frigging time and doesnt understand why i hate it so much...its lazy and people forget how to type proper english after too long using it (provided they ever knew how to use it properly in the first place Rolling Eyes )
Back to top Go down
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male
Number of posts : 237
Job/hobbies : History buff, highschool student.

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Skode wrote:
I despise it myself - my better half uses it all the frigging time and doesnt understand why i hate it so much...its lazy and people forget how to type proper english after too long using it (provided they ever knew how to use it properly in the first place Rolling Eyes )

I agree. Lately, I've seen myself slipping when I need to get out fast, but other than that, it's good old American English for me.
Back to top Go down
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 1:11 pm

I restrict my 'txt-spk' to my mobile; I seldom let it slip out into forums etc, save the odd 'lol' or 'brb' on MSN...

I can understand text-speak well, I just choose not to inflict it on others that much. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Skode
Legion
Legion

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Mitsunari wrote:
I restrict my 'txt-spk' to my mobile; I seldom let it slip out into forums etc, save the odd 'lol' or 'brb' on MSN...

I can understand text-speak well, I just choose not to inflict it on others that much. Laughing

Its daft that with mobiles being so lazy an option where they predictive text finish the words you people that they skip that and resort to half typing words and abbreviating every couple of things they want to phrase
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:15 pm

You only get so many figures per text Skode, therefore to fit as many words in as I want I often resort to leet speak. On MSN I'm a slow typer and need to use leet to keep up!
Back to top Go down
Skode
Legion
Legion

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
You only get so many figures per text Skode, therefore to fit as many words in as I want I often resort to leet speak. On MSN I'm a slow typer and need to use leet to keep up!

I know this and always managed to say what i wanted with one text complete with grammar on them, you are excusing laziness young man haha
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Skode wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:

I know this and always managed to say what i wanted with one text complete with grammar on them, you are excusing laziness young man haha

Well I can't, I rely on texting to stay in touch with lots of peolpe I don't see/speak too otherwise and for most messages I require every single letter!
Back to top Go down
Skode
Legion
Legion

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Skode wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:

Well I can't, I rely on texting to stay in touch with lots of peolpe I don't see/speak too otherwise and for most messages I require every single letter!

You cant or you wont
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Can't heres an example message:

Yeh I no it shud only b1but my headteachers a pric and decided weve alredi missed2many maths lessons so now we wait til3!U got 2day off since u got the results?

Notice words are melded in to one either side of a number as it was the only way I could fit it all in!
Back to top Go down
Skode
Legion
Legion

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Can't heres an example message:

Yeh I no it shud only b1but my headteachers a pric and decided weve alredi missed2many maths lessons so now we wait til3!U got 2day off since u got the results?

Notice words are melded in to one either side of a number as it was the only way I could fit it all in!

That sentance makes nowhere as much sense as it should if you really were trying to cut corners...for example you spelled in full the longest word there in "headteachers" yet cut two the letter word "be". Also its detrimental to spelling i mean you shortened then word already with an i at the end and for what reason confused
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Because 'Be' is prounounced 'b' maybe?

I don't know about already just habit now...
Back to top Go down
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 5:01 pm

My eyes bleed.
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 10:42 pm

It's not that bad....
Back to top Go down
Skode
Legion
Legion

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 8:03 am

EidonOfTheFist wrote:
It's not that bad....

If someone of the age group that favoures butchering the language as so thinks its enough to make there eyes bleed then it in indeed "bad" Laughing

Put it this way ive never misunderstoody anything Wassup has ever said to me but Fin on the other hand.....
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 am

Laughing But MSN is made for misunderstanding!
Back to top Go down
Beowulf
Legion
Legion
Beowulf

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:56 pm

wassupimviet wrote:
My eyes bleed.

With this quote, I can officially say the world is ending... Someone who's 14 and believes chatspeak/textspeak makes their eyes bleed, is a sure sign of the times. The next step is... There is no step, begin panicking, everything is going to go to hell and a hand basket soon enough.
Back to top Go down
http://firesofwar.proboards.com/index.cgi
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 7:28 pm

You guys give me too little credit... have you ever thought that, just maybe, I just don't like textspeak...
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 9:56 pm

I immediately thought that, hence my comment.
Back to top Go down
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 10:26 pm

*forms kinship with Parrot*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Text speak... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Text speak...   Text speak... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Text speak...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
M.E.T.A.L  :: M.E.T.A.L :: Recreation Room-
Jump to: