M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Comic Books Discussion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Comic Books Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 5:00 am

What are your favourite comic books and why?

Do you think making movies after them is a good idea? Do you like/hate any adaptations in particular?

Basically, talk about anything comic book related here...
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:13 pm

My favourite series of comics is Hell Blazer, which focuses on John Constantine. It's really very good, I just haven't read it in a while....

Movies can be great, though they work better when they take the core concept and make a movie about that instead of copy-pasting the comic. For example, Dark Knight was a great movie, but it didn't try to explicitly copy any issue. Similarly, Constantine went more for the overarching story then it did the individual plot lines of Hell Blazer- it wasn't as good as the comic, but it wasn't bad.
Back to top Go down
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female
Number of posts : 100
Location : Alaska, wandering the frozen wastes to seek the legendary Symphonic Power.
Job/hobbies : Full Time Geeky Student.
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 3:44 pm

I grew up reading adventure comics like Asterix and Obelix and Tintin, and possibly due in part to that I now really enjoy Girl Genius. And I've recently been reading stuff with Deadpool. Deadpool is amazing... I got Deadpool:Secret Invasion and Cable and Deadpool vol. 7 yesterday... I love my comic shop... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://ryorins-ramblings.blogspot.com/
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female
Location : Alaska, wandering the frozen wastes to seek the legendary Symphonic Power.

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 2:10 pm

I finally got around to reading Superman: Red Son yesterday... It was amazing. It's a "what if?" story about Superman crash-landing in the USSR instead of the USA. I highly recommend it, and I'm not ever an big DC fan!
Back to top Go down
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male
Number of posts : 237
Job/hobbies : History buff, highschool student.

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 11:08 am

I think I've only read one actual comic book in my life. It was something about Hal Jordan Green Lantern fighting robots.
Back to top Go down
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:52 pm

wassupimviet wrote:
I think I've only read one actual comic book in my life. It was something about Hal Jordan Green Lantern fighting robots.
...wow. Was it good?
Back to top Go down
wassupimviet
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
wassupimviet

Male
Number of posts : 237
Job/hobbies : History buff, highschool student.

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 7:40 pm

I can't say...it was almost ten years ago.
Back to top Go down
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm

The Green Lantern's always interested me, but I haven't read any of it.
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:07 pm

My stepdad had a small paperback of collected Green Lantern stories from when he was a kid, and I read a bit of it. It was pretty good, but I find those really old comics a bit difficult to read, personally..
Back to top Go down
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 12:44 am

I know whet you mean. They seem to tell you everything through narration. You could make a radio drama out of them by just reading the text boxes!

My school has an omnibus of old Doctor Strange comics. They are amazing, but the narration really is excessive.
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 7:04 pm

Shu Ryorin wrote:
I know whet you mean. They seem to tell you everything through narration. You could make a radio drama out of them by just reading the text boxes!
Plus they have a lot of:

Text Box: Superman was too weak from the Kryptonite to beat Luther's death machine!
Luther: Haha! Superman, you are too weak to defeat my death machine!
Superman Thought Bubble: Grr, this Kryptonite has made me too weak, I can't beat Luther like this!

Etc.

Also, I picked up the first volume of Sandman comics from the library yesterday. So far it's pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 7:35 pm

My brother's been reading those and highly recommends it. What would you say the overall tone of the series is? Light, dark, a mix of both?
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 1:55 am

Definitely dark. There's the occasional light hearted section, or line, but in general it's been quite grim.
Back to top Go down
Shu Ryorin
Musician
Musician
Shu Ryorin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 11:50 pm

My school library rocks. I'm on Sandman volume 3 and I love it so far, though it is rather dark and occasionally gruesome.
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 12:32 pm

My public library is similarly awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comic Books Discussion   Comic Books Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comic Books Discussion
Page 1 of 1