M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nu-Metal Discussion

Go down 
+2
Mai
Mitsunari
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Nu-Metal Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:27 am

Use this thread to discuss all of the facets of the genre of Nu-Metal. Share links, pictures, news, etc.
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 am

SPINESHANK ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Guitar 1 *insert awesome nu-metal guitar riff here*

Chances are, they're just going to be releasing a metal album, but anything from them is better than nothing.
Back to top Go down
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:17 pm

Mai wrote:
SPINESHANK ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Guitar 1 *insert awesome nu-metal guitar riff here*

Chances are, they're just going to be releasing a metal album, but anything from them is better than nothing.

SPINESHANK?! BACK?! AWESOME SAUCCCCCCE!!!!! Metal 1

I think they'll sway towards Metalcore myself; Santos's range would suit it, and the others could effortlessly slip into a Metalcore groove. Cool
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:34 am

Mitsunari wrote:

SPINESHANK?! BACK?! AWESOME SAUCCCCCCE!!!!! Metal 1

I think they'll sway towards Metalcore myself; Santos's range would suit it, and the others could effortlessly slip into a Metalcore groove. Cool

I bloody well hope so! I was only saying metal because I didn't want to get my hopes up.

Well done, Mits! Now you've ruined it for me! Mom's Mad

But I guess I deserve it after waking you at 7am yesterday, screaming that they were back together. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Skode
Legion
Legion

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:02 pm

its been bothering me for ages - what exactly makes a band Nu-Metal in genre?

Really i define it as any group to this sort of style of music that has been released since the new millenium. This however also means we have to consider the likes of Linkin Park and Papa Roach as nu-metal which really doesnt fit. I think the pioneers of this new genre as a whole are more to the likes of Slipknot and System of a Down personally
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 3:19 am

Skode wrote:
its been bothering me for ages - what exactly makes a band Nu-Metal in genre?

Really i define it as any group to this sort of style of music that has been released since the new millenium. This however also means we have to consider the likes of Linkin Park and Papa Roach as nu-metal which really doesnt fit. I think the pioneers of this new genre as a whole are more to the likes of Slipknot and System of a Down personally

Here's an explanation on Nu-Metal, Skode...

Linkin Park and Papa Roach were the epitome of Nu-Metal back in the late-late 90's and early 00's, but they have now moved away from the genre; Linkin Park completely, but Papa Roach have retained the metal side of their music.

Korn are the pioneers of Nu-Metal, babe, but you're right that Slipknot and System Of A Down have heavily influenced bands who have entered the genre.

I have a sneaky suspicion that we are about to see a rebirth. Not as it was back in its heyday, but there is definitely a stiring of Nu-Metal in the underground.
Spineshank are back together, but I don't really know yet what they'll be doing...but I'm certain it will revolve around metal, as the guitarists and drummer and purely metal musicians.

Also, music channels are playing a lot more Nu-Metal from old bands and covering a few minor bands who are releasing half-genre music, such as rap and metal, etc.

It's been a big wish of mine that Nu-Metal would definitely make a return, but I'm not entirely certain it will. However, I do think that there will definitely be a Nu-Metal influenced genre rearing soon...
Back to top Go down
Skode
Legion
Legion

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 7:08 am

Indeed - its probably the hardest genre to discern it would seem. I mean Detones have songs few and far between i would consider Nu-Metal if the sub genre also features say Disturbed but whatever the case may be its my fave genre whether i realised it or not Laughing

Like you say Nu-Metal has gone a bit quiet but its still there and bands like Skindred need to get some recognition for being one of the best at mixing such extremely contrasting genres but i whilst i would agree Korn to be pioneers of the genre in such a form in the same way say Sex Pistols and the Clash were for Punk there were some real forefathers for the genre out much longer before that i guess in the shapes of say more modern ones like Cypruss Hill or even colaborations from as far back as Aerosmith/Run DMC.

Still there are some bands i dont know if are classified as Nu-Metal or not for example Rage Against The Machine or Audioslave...as i said its the gardest genre to define an artist in unless they are really friggen obvious Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:02 am

Skode wrote:
Indeed - its probably the hardest genre to discern it would seem. I mean Detones have songs few and far between i would consider Nu-Metal if the sub genre also features say Disturbed but whatever the case may be its my fave genre whether i realised it or not Laughing

You're right. Nu-Metal was always a genre I had issues with, even though it is still my favourite genre, but I've learnt to discern who fits into it. The best way to tell is: if a band has a metal sound with elements of another genre, such as rap, funk, grunge, etc they're almost definitely Nu-Metal. If you know guitars, you can also tell by listening to the riffs, as well as the drumbeat. Most Nu-Metal bands have a excellent drummer, who can beat out some of the most complex drumbeats you'll ever hear (but that's also now become a thing in metal too, so it's not always foolproof to go with this).

In my opinion, Disturbed are purely rock and metal, they've never done anything remotely Nu-Metal in their career, I don't think. They just have a different approach at metal with the style of singing they use. Their guitarist, bassist and drummer are definitely metal musicians.

Quote :
Like you say Nu-Metal has gone a bit quiet but its still there and bands like Skindred need to get some recognition for being one of the best at mixing such extremely contrasting genres but i whilst i would agree Korn to be pioneers of the genre in such a form in the same way say Sex Pistols and the Clash were for Punk there were some real forefathers for the genre out much longer before that i guess in the shapes of say more modern ones like Cypruss Hill or even colaborations from as far back as Aerosmith/Run DMC.

I'm not a huge fan of Skindred, but I do have a lot of respect for what they do. They refer to themselves as "Reggae Metal", which, back in 2000, might have fallen into the Nu-Metal genre. But, from what I've heard of them so far, they're more metal than anything else.

I think Coal Chamber was the first band to be referred to as a Nu-Metal band, but Black Sabbath have also been credited as an influence for the genre. But you're right about Cypress Hill. They were more sort of "in your face" with the rap and metal crossovers, but it did start long before then.

Quote :
Still there are some bands i dont know if are classified as Nu-Metal or not for example Rage Against The Machine or Audioslave...as i said its the gardest genre to define an artist in unless they are really friggen obvious Very Happy

Rage Against The Machine are commonly a rock/metal band. Their drummer seems more suited in metal but their bassist plays mostly a Nu-Metal sound and their singer Zack de la Rocha brings them into the genre even more. Their lead guitarist has the capability of stretching to both genres. That said, most of their songs are heavily metal, it's just the bassist and the singer that gives them a different edge.

The same can be said for Audioslave, but only because the bassist, guitarist and drummer is the same as RATM. Chris Cornell's singing style is the difference between the bands. They're actually credited as a Hard Rock and I think this is because of Cornell. But my opinion is, they're just metal.
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Mai wrote:
In my opinion, Disturbed are purely rock and metal, they've never done anything remotely Nu-Metal in their career, I don't think. They just have a different approach at metal with the style of singing they use. Their guitarist, bassist and drummer are definitely metal musicians.
I would say that Disturbed's first album was most definitely Nu-Metal, though their other albums are arguable.

Quote :
Rage Against The Machine are commonly a rock/metal band. Their drummer seems more suited in metal but their bassist plays mostly a Nu-Metal sound and their singer Zack de la Rocha brings them into the genre even more. Their lead guitarist has the capability of stretching to both genres. That said, most of their songs are heavily metal, it's just the bassist and the singer that gives them a different edge.
I've always thought of RATM as Nu-Metal, but looking it up on Wikipedia, turns out they're not. Shucks.
Back to top Go down
Knightfall
Musician
Musician
Knightfall

Male
Number of posts : 101
Job/hobbies : Things I do
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 4:25 pm

EidonOfTheFist wrote:

I would say that Disturbed's first album was most definitely Nu-Metal, though their other albums are arguable.

As would I, you might wanna tell Kyle that
Back to top Go down
http://metalmayhem.forumotion.com
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 3:48 am

Knightfall wrote:
EidonOfTheFist wrote:

As would I, you might wanna tell Kyle that

I'd go along with that too, there are a lot of Nu-Metal elements on that album...they've slowly phased out the keyboard-based synths and whatnot though, which I think has hurt their sound somewhat...those dark synths REALLY added to the atmospherics of their earlier work. Metal 1
Back to top Go down
Phil
Legion
Legion
Phil

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:53 pm

RATM certainly does not fall under the nu-metal genre, despite the heavy bass riffs and rap-rock vocals. They were formed in 1991, long before the nu-metal craze was ever popularized and fall much more under rap-rock or alternative metal with influences from bands like the Beastie Boys.

Audioslave is not really nu-metal either, as much as everyone wants to classify any band formed in the late 90's to early-2000's as such. They have more of rock overtones than metal, and are generally considered as alternative rock or hard rock. Frankly, I don't understand why you don't just call them rock and be done with it. It's not as if genre labels define the band.
Back to top Go down
http://thesickness.freeforums.org/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nu-Metal Discussion   Nu-Metal Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nu-Metal Discussion
Page 1 of 1