M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Depressing Music?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Depressing Music? Empty
PostSubject: Depressing Music?   Depressing Music? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:17 am

Is music to blame for depression and violence?

Like movies, Tv shows and games, music is being used to explain away why people are doing things they shouldn't be.

Whenever a kid goes around killing people, generally it's believed it's because their favourite band told them to or that they're listening to music with subliminal messages. But where's the proof?

Also, recently My Chemical Romance were used as scapegoats to explain why a young teen committed suicide, which I believe was because the parents of this girl didn't want to admit that they missed the signs of depression. I'm not saying they're the ones in the wrong, but they certainly can't blame My Chemical Romance or any other rock band.

It's my opinion that, more often than not, rock bands can help people who are having difficulties in their life because they are showing them they aren't alone and that if they can overcome their issues, so can everyone else.

I understand the need to blame something or someone when you lose a loved one, but it must be from the right source.

I'm sure this young girl felt life was just too difficult and she probably felt alone. Because she listened to My Chemical Romance, does not mean she was influenced by the lyrics in their songs. If anything, they probably held her back from doing it sooner, and it was a completely different reason that pushed her in the end, such as a fight with her parents, bullying at school, etc.

These are just my opinions though. I'd love to hear yours....
Back to top Go down
EidonOfTheFist
Legion
Legion
EidonOfTheFist

Male
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Depressing Music? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressing Music?   Depressing Music? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 4:54 pm

I'd say music can definitely influence people. Many times sad songs have made me sad and happy songs have made me happy. But convincing me to do things, not so much. I could imagine if someone was seriously considering killing themselves, and listening to sad music, that could push them over the edge. Or if someone was hitting someone else, an angry song could make them hit harder and more often. But I'd say the chances of music taking an ordinary kid and turning him into a monster, or any other radical personality change, is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male
Number of posts : 336
Location : Battling for Wu with Sun Ce...... In his imagination
Job/hobbies : Writing stories.... School unfortunely!
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Depressing Music? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressing Music?   Depressing Music? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 am

I agree with Mai I normally listen to music when I'm down and it always helps me to deal with the issue!
Back to top Go down
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Nine_Dragons/index.php?act=idx
The Phoenix
Legion
Legion
The Phoenix

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Depressing Music? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressing Music?   Depressing Music? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 7:17 am

EidonOfTheFist wrote:
I'd say music can definitely influence people. Many times sad songs have made me sad and happy songs have made me happy. But convincing me to do things, not so much. I could imagine if someone was seriously considering killing themselves, and listening to sad music, that could push them over the edge. Or if someone was hitting someone else, an angry song could make them hit harder and more often. But I'd say the chances of music taking an ordinary kid and turning him into a monster, or any other radical personality change, is ridiculous.

I totally agree with you. Music is like amplifier in my view.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Depressing Music? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressing Music?   Depressing Music? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Depressing Music?
Page 1 of 1