M.E.T.A.L
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.E.T.A.L isn't just about music. We're here to offer support to everyone with everyday life issues, as well as an easy going forum where everyone is welcome to discuss almost all aspects of their lives in a place that offers fun and games for all!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Guitarists Discussion Thread...

Go down 
+3
Mitsunari
Sun Fin
Mai
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Number of posts : 587
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Guitarists Discussion Thread... Empty
PostSubject: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 am

Who are your favourite rock guitarists and why do you like them?

Explain what you look for when you're choosing your favourites, their talent, their performances, their sound, etc?
Back to top Go down
Sun Fin
M.E.T.A.L All Star
M.E.T.A.L All Star
Sun Fin

Male
Number of posts : 336
Location : Battling for Wu with Sun Ce...... In his imagination
Job/hobbies : Writing stories.... School unfortunely!
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 11:57 am

Brian May! This legend doesn't need any justifcation surely?
Back to top Go down
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Nine_Dragons/index.php?act=idx
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Brian May! This legend doesn't need any justifcation surely?

Nope, he's a legend alright!

There are soooo many talented Metalcore/Rock guitarist out there it's unbelievable, and I mean the ones who generally get overlooked or unnoticed. Like Joel Stroenzel from KsE...man, the guy's ability makes the hair on my neck stand up.
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female
Job/hobbies : Hurting those who are the cause of all pain...Fall Out Boy is next on my list...they hurt my ears...

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 am

My favourites are:

Synyster Gates - Avenged Sevenfold. I just think the way he plays is amazing and he can play his guitar without pulling faces like some of the others tend to do. A bit like this >Embarrassed

Plus, I love the way he works with Zacky Vengeance (Avenged Sevenfold's rhythm guitarist). Syn's right-handed and Zacky's left. When they play a piece together, they come together like this: Guitarists Discussion Thread... Image010 It looks better when you can see it more clearly. Laughing

C.J. Pierce - Drowning Pool. Another brilliant but overlooked guitarist.

Jim Root and Mick Thomson - Slipknot. They're wonderful together.

As are Joel Stroetzel and Adam Dutkiewicz - Killswitch Engage
Back to top Go down
The Phoenix
Legion
Legion
The Phoenix

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:05 am

Well, I remember being crucified at sosz for saying this but I'll risk again: James Hetfield.
Yes, there are many legends who can play faster and turn a lead guitar into a real storyteller: Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Schenker, Ritchie Blackmore to name some. But it's James's guitar that talks to me not theirs. Can't say the same about Kirk unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Mitsunari
KsE Fiend
KsE Fiend
Mitsunari

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : Stuff...varied, exciting...uh...stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 7:43 am

The Phoenix wrote:
Well, I remember being crucified at sosz for saying this but I'll risk again: James Hetfield.
Yes, there are many legends who can play faster and turn a lead guitar into a real storyteller: Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Schenker, Ritchie Blackmore to name some. But it's James's guitar that talks to me not theirs. Can't say the same about Kirk unfortunately.

Well, ultimately, it's our preferences that matter, and I certainly don't decry anyone for having a favourite that isn't universally-acknowledged or 'outstanding' in his/her field...if James Hetfield's guitar speaks to you, that's fine. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 11:39 pm

The Phoenix wrote:

To be honest, I can understand why you'd say this, babe. For James Hetfield to be able to play as well as he can and only call himself a rhythm guitarist is, in my opinion, wonderful. I can't understand why he just doesn't take the lead.

I do like Kirk Hammett, but you're right, he's not as impressive as James Hetfield. I mean, they work well together, but you never hear other guitarists saying that they'd like to be able to play as he does, as much as you hear it for James Hetfield. I know most rhythm guitarists say they'd love to be able to play like him and most of the time, leads say they'd like to be able to play as good as Slash.

It seems, James Hetfield did the right thing. He's only seen as a rhythm guitarist but he has the skill of a lead. Something tells me, but this is just my take on it, if he was titled as lead, he might not seem as impressive.
Back to top Go down
Knightfall
Musician
Musician
Knightfall

Male
Number of posts : 101
Job/hobbies : Things I do
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Corey Bieuleau and Matt Heafy of Trivium: They are amazing guitarists, the music they make is beyond incredible
Luke Hoskin and Tim Millar of Protest the Hero: Incredible dual guitarists, Tim and Luke are insane
Dan Donegan of Disturbed: My inspiration to become a guitarist, Dan is a brilliant musician.

I have more favorite guitarists, but I'll post them later
Back to top Go down
http://metalmayhem.forumotion.com
Skode
Legion
Legion

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 5:55 pm

I grew up loving Angus Youngs riffs and still do to this day - he aint the best but damn is he awesome none the less.
Back to top Go down
Beowulf
Legion
Legion
Beowulf

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 pm

I'd have to say there's a number of guitarists I really like, so I'll just list them.

Olavi Mikkonen from Amon Amarth
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Frank Zappa
Eric Clapton
Django Reinhardt
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Guy
Jussi Wickström from Turisas
Oskar Montelius from Sabaton
Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin
Duane Allman from the Allman Brothers

And I'm probably forgetting some people, but that's a fair list. I can't like every guitarist of every band I like can I?
Back to top Go down
http://firesofwar.proboards.com/index.cgi
Mai
Dark Angel
Dark Angel
Mai

Female

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 am

Knightfall wrote:
Corey Bieuleau and Matt Heafy of Trivium: They are amazing guitarists, the music they make is beyond incredible
Luke Hoskin and Tim Millar of Protest the Hero: Incredible dual guitarists, Tim and Luke are insane
Dan Donegan of Disturbed: My inspiration to become a guitarist, Dan is a brilliant musician.

I have more favorite guitarists, but I'll post them later

I'm learning to play the guitar and Dan's one of the reasons why I am too. He's excellent!

And why do I have a problem remembering Trivium whenever I say which guitarists I like? confused Some one, kick me! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guitarists Discussion Thread...   Guitarists Discussion Thread... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guitarists Discussion Thread...
Page 1 of 1